What is the Benefit of Utilizing Virtual Employees?
With today’s market taking advantage of technology, more employees are working from home. The benefits for an employee working remotely can include the following:
• Minimizing gas expense to get to and from work as well as parking expenses.
• Minimizing the dress expense.
• Potentially the ability to flex around family and appointments.
• A more balanced lifestyle.
• Generally a higher morale.
The benefits to an employer:
• Doesn’t have to rent office space for employees.
• Has the ability to recruit for a position nationwide rather than geographically which gives the employer a bigger talent pool.
Here are a few tips to ensure success with virtual employees:
1) Performance-based goals: Micromanagement with virtual employees does not need to occur. Getting a better understanding of how an employee will structure their day working from their remote offices as well as setting up performance-based goals can eliminate micromanagement and set up an employee for success.
2) Frequent and regular communication: The employee needs to know they are part of the organization. Include the employee in conference calls as well as set up a weekly time to touch base will help an employee feel they are part of the organization.
3) Adequate tools: A broadband connection is a requirement these days. Is a video camera needed for conference calls? Not all cell phones provide solid connections, so make sure the communication path is a good one! Does the employee have a company platform that needs to be used? Is a webinar platform required for the business?