U can B is an in school program that provides career exposure and awareness in the Pittsburgh region. Part of the Building Bridges program, founded in 2010, the U can B program provides
• Proprietary curriculum
• Educational Film series Coffee With ™ now on CBS/KDKA digital
• In school in person interactive discussions with business and region leaders
• Power Trips to locations – Google Pittsburgh, City Hall, Energy Innovation Center and CBS
• Virtual Career Coaching
Schools and educational entities may either engage their own school faculty or work with Building Bridges to teach 9th – 12th graders on topics of
• Career choices
This program has resulted in students
• Learning about career options that were not presented previously.
• Having a clearly defined career they want to pursue.
• Gaining experience and being exposed to curriculum and opportunities they would not have been exposed to.
The 2013/2014 school year pilot was launched at Keystone Oaks School. The program is a 24 week program.
Classes are taught on a weekly basis. Subject matter includes entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial passion exercise, components of business plans, and ways to create a business. This curriculum was augmented with Coffee With videos and in school in person discussions with experts focused on arts and music, business, and politics. The school year concluded with a Power Trip to City Hall to meet the Mayor of Pittsburgh and two city council members.