Americans have always taken pride in having the best-educated workforce in the world, but now that is no longer true. In Tough Choices, Tough Times, the New Commission on the Skills of the American Workforce reports that over the past 30 years one country after another has surpassed the United States in the percentage of its population entering the workforce with the equivalent of a high school diploma, and many more countries are on the verge of doing so. Thirty years ago, the U.S. could lay claim to having 30 percent of the world’s population of college students. Today that proportion has fallen substantially, to 14 percent, and continues to decline. American students place anywhere from the middle of the pack to the bottom in all three continuing comparative studies of achievement in mathematics, science, and general literacy among advanced industrial nations.Students from low-income families are six times more likely not to finish high school than those from high-income families.
Building Bridges is a 501(c)3 organization that educates and empowers through:
• Live and virtual business education and workshops
• Coffee With Film Series on CBS/KDKA digital with a 1.4 M home reach.
• U can B teaching program
• Student portal with data analytics
• and Building the Bridges across the business and workforce ecosystem.
Our mission is to strengthen the economic vitality of the region by providing educational programming and opportunities for small business and students to connect with vital resources.
The U can B program highlights –
• Proven curriculum – Taught in school and after school programs.
• “Coffee With…” videos and in person interactive discussions are used to educate students on their purpose, passion and career options.
• Educational programming – for students to connect with vital business resources.
The students that U can B reaches will use the analytics dashboard that allows schools to follow participating students, gain meaningful and measurable analytics, and keep up with them longitudinally as they progress.
• Follow Students
• Internal Messaging
• Post OpportunitiesImpact
• See How They Compare
• Show Certifications
• Organize Achievements
• Geographic Data
• Skills Breakdown
• Test Score Data